Thursday 3 January 2008

Wellinton to Pongoroa - New Years Eve







Good ride out of Wellington. (OK I lie, I cheated and got the train to Upper Hutt cos of the traffic but its only 30k) and then big old hill and then down onto the main road as night came in. Ended up in Carterton in a campsite for the night and then pushed on to a place called Pongoroa on the smaller east coast road. No traffic and beutiful countryside all rolling hills and bits of forest here and there. Big day, over 110k but the wind was behind me and I wanted to get to somewhere with a pub. Put up my tent in the domain near the sports field and went to the pub. People were very friendly and Len and Dianne (it was Len and Dianne right? If not and you`re reading this then tell me that actually its Dave and Amanda and I`ll make amends) invited me to a party. So we went and it was fun for a bit only I decide to partake in things I don`t partake of any longer and within about 15 minutes my brain became scrambled eggs and I was incapable of independant (or dependant) thought. So pretty useless really. Ah well lesson learned. I hope. Anyway Len and Dianne kindly gave me a bed for the night and also made some nice food despite my gibber.