Friday 25 January 2008

Opapi Beach - where I get to wear John Lennon`s sunglasses




Hot hot hot ride. Stayed at a Opape Beach which had a really nice little motor camp and another beautiful beach. As I was having breakfast I met Brian who is an interesting person. He has done lots of things and knows Mr Dow of Dow Chemicals and has spent many years fighting for recognition for the damage of Agent Orange to soldiers in the Vietnam War and a similar chemical used as a pesticides in New Zealand in the 1970s. Anyway he lived in the US for many years and these sunglasses were made a gift to him by the John Lennon society. He says that he is not 100 per cent sure they were John`s but they certainly look like they could have been made in the 1960`s and are beautifully engraved on the rims.
He also gave me a letter of introduction to Jeannette Fitzsimmons, leader of the Green Party but unfortuneately I wasn`t in that part of the Coromandel when it came down to it.

No comments: