Tuesday 15 January 2008

Napier to Pouwa Beach









Set off from Napier pretty late and arrived at beautiful Lake Tutira which had a nice DOC campground. The road was grand skirting a big valley.
Next day the road wound up and down through a gorge and crisscrossed the railway. Finally arrived at Wairoa and stayed in a campsite by the river which I lost no time in jumping in as soon as I arrived. Very swish campground with music in the toilets and that sort of thing. Waroa also apparently has the second biggest cinema screen in the country but unfortunely I was late for the movie so I missed its bigness. Very very hot the next day again but I had the wind behind me for the first part of the day and sailed through. The final hill of the day was brutal and i thought i was going to implode. However ended up at a nice beach at Muriwai, just camped in the picnic area and had a swim in the morning.
Then on through Gisborne were I stopped for a rather elongated coffee and toasted sandwich which a chocolate muffin was soon added to and then on to Pouwa Beach which was the first of a few freedom camping areas provided by Gisbourne city council. No water there though but someone came by and offerred me some so that was fine.

No comments: