Tuesday 15 January 2008

Tologa Bay - Te Areroa






Another pretty short day the next day to Waipiro Bay. Great windy hill to shoot down at the end and a nice cool southerly to help me on my way. Camped right by the ocean. The next day headed on to Te Areroa which is at the North East point of the cape. Warmed up again but the road was not too hilly really. Tony who was with the lady who gave me the water at Pouwa beach told me to stay at `Sunrise` there which is a campground and B&B/Backpackers. Great little place with a walk through a couple of fields to a deserted beach. Tony`s father, Albert lives there on his land in a little bach and he gave me tea with manuka honey and home baked fruit bread which was delicious. When I asked if he`d been there for a while he suggested i might want to re-phrase the question and explained that his family had been there for 1100 years. `How many Europeans can say that about a peice of ground?` he asked me and stamped his foot. And I thought about it and couldn`t really think of any. No-one I know, anyway.

No comments: