Thursday 3 January 2008

Blackhead beach







Veery hot and windy road the next day and a northerly so hard work though another fine place to end up in. The road passed a hill named `Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu` which as you might imagine is the longest place name in the world. (See the photo for a translation) though the Welsh town of `Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch` defineately comes a close second which translates as `The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave`
Blackhead`s campsite wanted $35 from me to camp there which I pointed out was a bit steep for me and my little tent. It was then pointed out that I could put six people on the site to which I pointed back that that didnt help me terribly much as there was only one of me. So...on advice from a helpful camper I headed along the path out a bit into the dunes and found a little hollow. Sometimes these things are meant to help us and this was certainly the case here cos I didn`t bother with the tent it was so nice out. Woke up at moon-rise to find the milky way directly above me (well once I`d dug out the old x-ray specs of course) Then woke up again at sunrise to find everything golden.
Wait a minute! I have just counted the letters up and unless I am mistaken Llannfair(etc.) wins by 3 letters. Hum. On the other hand it has got lots of l`s in it which technically perhaps make it shorter.