Wednesday 30 January 2008

Bay of Islands/Paihia



















Headed out quite late so decided to stop for a long black and a cheese and onion toastie. A nice one, not that special but cheap with fantastic presentation I thought. I`ve never seen a vertical toastie before. Ah, I live on the edge, eh. Soon off the main highway onto Russell Rd and a real nice windy one through farmland and forest and made good profress. Had lunch and a swim at Helen`s bay and found a great campsite right on the beach a few k`s on at Whangaruru South. Next day really hot and not really into it but a beautiful road, up and down, passing many little beaches. At one point 2 parrots flew out near me all multicoloured, don`t know which birds but so beautiful. I looked for them in the trees but I couldn`t see them. Eventually arrived at Russell after going by quite alot of really nice swampy wetland where I got a refreshingly slow old ferry over to Paihia

No comments: