Saturday 1 December 2007

The Ride Begins - Bluff to Invercargil


OK so it was only 30K...
But the wind was behind me, the cycle computer got set up thanks to a helpful lady in the gas station who had a tape measure and off I went. Halfway to Invers a car stopped and the driver stopped to give me lift. Wasn`t that nice? But I explained my mission and that if I started accepting lifts that early in the day I might as well not bother really. Tuatara lodge in Invercargil have very kindly given me a luxury double ensuite room for a couple of days so I`m hardly slumming it. They also (incidentally) make the best toaties (thats a toasted sandwich to my European chums) I have ever had. And I`ve had a few. Upto now it was the cafe at Hari Hari on the West Coast (as featured in Goodbye Pork Pie!). Mind you the ones here are pretty outsize giant one so maybe the categories could be divided into normal size and jumbo. Hmmm... you can tell I`ve been eating dried food for a week can`t you.
Anyway camping by the sea tomorrow is the plan.

1 comment:

winnie the pooh said...

Tigger nearly fell off his bike when he saw your photograph, that is the very bike he has dreamed of, so now Tigger is badgering ..ha..Kanga for a new bike.
Kanga may even get to post a blog if she can work out how to do it.
Christopher Robin is wishing you well on your way.
I hope you have enough honey, and do mind out for the hefalumps, they are a lot bigger than kiwis. pooh