Sunday 23 December 2007

Hamner Springs to St Arnaud - The Rainbow Road




















In many ways this was probably the highlight of the trip. The road cuts through the middle of the country and rises to nearly 1400 metres A real grunt at the final bit although I had a tailwind helping me out. Its for 4WD vehicles only and is great on a bike even though Monty`s tyres were a but thin at times (1.35 for my fellow bicyclist nerdys out there) Anyway just awesome. Mountains like mountains on Mars (well they might be) with strange smooth sides. Just huge country and so beautiful and remote. Passed the first 1000km of the trip. Stayed in a great little DOC hut that had 6 bunks in it although I had it to myself and made a fire in the woodburning stove and it was very cosy. Next day was sunny and warm and followed the river out to the main highway although the wind was not in my favour anymore and by the time I got to St Arnaud I was pretty knackered. However the DOC campground by beautiful Lake Rotoiti turned out to have hot showers to my surprise which was extremely welcome as my left foot was numb due to several fords earlier on in the day with some pretty freezing water.

No comments: