Friday 28 December 2007

Elaine Bay - Aussie Bay












Nice short ride to Elaine Bay the next day(well aside from the fact it was another bloody great hill) but at only 17k pretty cruisy day. Lovely weather and nice little DOC campground near the harbour. There was a hammock near my tent which I used and all very relaxing.
I had asked at Akiwi Bay if it was possible to cycle along the walking track which connected with Tennyson Inlet, a few k`s around the coastline. Oh yes, you`ll have no problem the guy told me in a sort of `couldn`t be easier you barely have to pedal` sort of voice. Well, set off, and followed a logging track and all pretty mellow and then the path got thinner and more overgrown and then some streams to wade through and fallen trees blocking the path and various other things and greasy tree roots where the bike slips from under you nearly tumbling me into the forest below and then I caught my foot in the wheel and cut my toe and it turned into the kind of mission that I really wasn`t up for and nobody in their right mind would want to do. So.... covered the 9k distance to the proper road in about 2 hours which is actually slower than if I had walked it, which is of course what the track is intended for. Grrr....
The road out was awesome massive long climb but fantastic view of Tennyson Inlet and then with the wind behind me the rest of the way practically flew past Pelorus Bridge and Havelock and arrived 15 k before Picton at a little DOC campgound by the sea called Aussie Bay.

No comments: