Friday 28 December 2007

Nelson to Marlborough Sounds





Didn`t leave Nelson till late after some bike tinkering I had to do aided with the YHA`s ample tool kit and soon enough the rain began. And then it really began. And then the hills began. And then re-began further. And the map was wrong. It said 27km to the turn off to the sounds but in fact it was about 47km. And then it got dark. And I carried on up into the hills thhrough the misty rain and entered a sort of zen like state where my legs sort of seperated form the rest of my body and it was kind of cool in a strange sort of way. Picking my way round the hairpin bends trying to follow the white centre lines so I didn`t inadvertantly cycle off downhill into the forest. Anywayss....finally made to Okiki Bay campground at 11pm and thawed out with a hot shower and eventually put my tent up. Beautiful place and the next day (xmas day) didn`t do very much and had some luxury xmas afternoon tea and a bottle of wine which I was fooled into buying by its big discount. It had a win a $20,000 dream holiday sticker on it which should have warned me really. It was yuck. But never one to stand in the way of alcoholic progress I finished the whole bottle anyway which left me feeling like the village drunk and a bit grumpy.

No comments: