Sunday 9 December 2007

Parapanui Bay to Dunedin - Bye to the Catlins





Easy riding to Kaka Point where I had a very civilised night in a very neat campsite with a nice kitchen and hot showers and so on. Then on to Milton the next day. The wind had changed against me but pretty easy road. Then between Milton and Tairi Mouth thought I`d take the back road. Not such a good idea. Hill after hill and rough gravel road. My tyres are pretty thin for touring and because the road is cambered so much I just skidded around as farm utes patiently waited to overtake and then my back brake pad decided to wear out ALREADY and so I had just a front brake. All quite hectic. Eventually got to Akatore Creek and found a little grassy area tucked away off the road and put up my tent. Turned into a lovely evening as it is a marshland area and there were lots of cool birds and I took my dinner onto the marsh and found a tree trunk to sit against as the sun went down.
Next day through Tairi Mouth, really nice little town and then on to Brighton and Dunedin the road following the beach all the way except the last bit which had a bloody great hill and then finally into Dunedin.

2 comments:

suewilsonphotos said...

what fantastic scenery, you are so lucky. hard luck about the brakes and the tyres though. I hope you can get it all fixed up in Dunedin. went to the Dunedin in the Isle of Skye or was it the island off Skye called Raasay?? many years ago one summer when you were in Cornwall on holiday.
There was a castle in ruins on the cliffs it was so scenic and very like the landscape you are photographing so how about that? And guess what i had hired a bike and was cycling around at that stage of the holiday.
The photographs are just terrific that you are posting keep it up...loved the mail boxes.
Are you still chatting to your feet and your bike though?
all runs in the family.
no hope for you.
xxx your mum

Karen Ringrose said...

you should take more care of monty or he might decide to get his revenge. Have you heard of monty's sumo revenge?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=montezuma%27s+revenge&spell=1